Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Days 17-20


2 Nephi 24-33


Tight Rope Walking over Niagara Falls?

Did you catch this last Saturday June 15, 2012?  This man was incredible! His whole life in many ways built up for this moment. He comes from a long line of tight rope walkers and this was his idea of a dream come true. He started walking when he was two years old and now here he is a grown man with a wife and family tight rope walking across Niagra Falls! Tyler and I tuned in just as he was stepping onto the wire on the USA side ready to make his way to the Canadian side. His name is Nik Wallenda and he's inspiring millions around the globe to reach for your dreams and use your talents to better those around you. The reporters informed the viewers that the slightest movement of the wire as he was walking would cause the swing to become more pronounced as he went along. It was thrilling to watch his every step, so rhythmic and so precise. What an understanding of how consequences come based upon our actions. He was thanking Jesus all the way across, so calm and collected, his dad's voice coaching him in his earpiece as he took the journey step-by-step. He came upon innumerable challenges, gusty wind, the rushing falls below him, the lights shining in his eyes, the misty and intensely wet areas. As he was interviewed after the completion of the event I won't ever forget how he responded. He related that many people had told him about the wind, about the wetness and the mist, he had prepared himself for it mentally and physically but when it was actually just you and the elements out there on the wire it was something far more real.

I think an entire fireside could be linked to this man's journey. This is what I learned: Our talents are used to bless the lives of others, we must rely upon the Lord for strength and vision (he is our Father leading us in our ear), we've got to take care to where we are placing our steps in life, we've got to know the situations around us as to stay sufficiently balanced, preparation and focus pay off and lastly if we endure well we will sprint to the end, happy to meet our loved ones at the finish.

Here is an article about the event if you are interested in more details.

Strawberry Days
 
Strawberry Days in Pleasant Grove started last night. Tyler and I went to the outdoor concert where one of our friend's dad was playing in the band, Fire @ Will. They were awesome. There were hundreds of people on blankets, chairs and walking around enjoying each others company. I love to see communities come together and enjoy life, stress free. I love to watch kids dancing like no one's watching, just moving to the way the music makes them.

At one point this itty bitty puppy came walking up to Tyler. Our friend Kaimii said, "That's the smallest puppy I've ever seen!" as it scurried off to it's next destination (I was afraid it would be trampled). We look up and this boy, 10-11 years old says, "Actually the smallest dog was much smaller than that one, it fit inside of a teacup." Then he took off. People are awesome. Nothing that rad would have happened at home in front of our TV.



 

Scripture of the Day:
18 And then are ye in this astrait and narrow bpath which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which cwitnesses of the dFather and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.
 19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow apath, I would ask if all is bdone? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken cfaith in him, drelying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to esave.
 20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a asteadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of bhope, and a clove of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and dendure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eeternal life.

Thoughts:
 It's been brought to my attention that I am a rule follower...shocker I know. But these scriptures  show me it isn't enough to just follow the rules. I must feast upon the words of Christ I must develop a love for all men, even the one who gave me a speeding ticket this morning...BAH! I must rely upon the arm of my God even when there are no specific rules to behold. I must choose for myself multiple times in the day, what is the best decision. Sometimes this is through the influence of the Holy Ghost, sometimes I'm given the privilege to make the decision because God trusts me.

The prophet tells me that I should go to church on Sunday and keep it holy. There are suggestions as to how I may do that but I don't have someone over my shoulder telling me the specifics and judging my decisions. I have entered the "strait and narrow path" of baptism and made promises with God to follow his ways. But all is NOT done.  I must develop a steadfast behavior through Christ's example as I endure to the end. Then through his grace I may have eternal life. 

Nik Wallenda did this through his example. This event was only part of his mortal journey on a tight rope, but what a beautiful parallel of life he left us meditating upon. 

"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men...endure to the end...ye shall have eternal life."



 


No comments: