2 Nephi 5-7
Scripture of the Day:
3 Nevertheless, I speak unto you again; for I am desirous for the awelfare
of your souls. Yea, mine anxiety is great for you; and ye yourselves
know that it ever has been. For I have exhorted you with all diligence;
and I have taught you the words of my father; and I have spoken unto you
concerning all things which are bwritten, from the creation of the world.
4 And
now, behold, I would speak unto you concerning things which are, and
which are to come; wherefore, I will read you the words of aIsaiah.
And they are the words which my brother has desired that I should speak
unto you. And I speak unto you for your sakes, that ye may learn and
glorify the name of your God.
Thoughts:
With Father's day coming up on Sunday I've been able to think a little more on what a father's responsibilities are. They have a big job. I don't know if they really ever gather how much they influence their family. My father holds the Melchizedek priesthood and honors that priesthood. This was one of the best things he had going for him because I not only looked to him as my father but I understood he held the power of God in his being. I saw my dad as nearly the perfect man, others respected him and spoke highly of him. They enjoyed his association and I saw how often he put them in a good mood. Even so I've learned that probably dad's make mistakes too. I didn't see my dad make many mistakes, but the older I get and the more life experiences I have the more I understand the complexity of running a household while still trying to maintain who you are and your personal happiness. We live in a beautiful world filled with a lot of ugly things and a lot of beautiful things. My dad's work takes him into the homes of people all over San Diego, CA where he often meets interesting customers who live very differently than what the gospel of Jesus Christ teaches. Nevertheless he always chose the fun and delightful stories to share with us when he came home. I remember him talking about birds perched on his shoulder while he was installing a water system, and women deathly terrified of putting mayonnaise on a sandwich she was making for him. Because of this I still, in my minds eye, picture my father moving from appointment to appointment, smile on his face, almost like in a cartoon, meeting new characters and entering a new adventure every time he stepped through the doorway of a home. I felt safe from harm growing up with a dad like that. I know he must have had his struggles, and still does, and yet I am amazed that I don't really know about most of them because he took such great care to ensure I enjoyed my childhood worry free. A dad has to sacrifice a lot to help his kids, while remaining a faithful and loyal husband to his beautiful wife who isn't always perfect either. Being a dad isn't an easy job, but mine made it look like nothing but second nature. I love you dad.
Day 13
2 Nephi 8-9
Scripture of the Day:
2 Nephi 8
24 Awake,
awake, put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O
Jerusalem, the holy city; for henceforth there shall no more come into
thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.
25 Shake thyself from the dust; arise, sit down, O Jerusalem; loose thyself from the bands of thy neck, O captive daughter of Zion.
20 O how great the aholiness of our God! For he bknoweth call things, and there is not anything save he knows it.
21 And he cometh into the world that he may asave all men if they will hearken unto his voice; for behold, he suffereth the pains of all men, yea, the bpains of every living creature, both men, women, and children, who belong to the family of cAdam.
Thoughts:
Tyler and I have visited the symphony numerous times together. Yet every time we return I am amazed at the power the conductor has over his musicians and how, due to his great expertise, each section of the orchestra is able to come in at the perfect time, without missing a beat. He knows when to bring them down into a sinking decrescendo at a time of reflection or suspense. He can cause some instruments to play their notes short staccato while simultaneously leading another section through a nearly liquid flowing sound of rich emotion. Each musician on their own has great potential to play a beautiful solo, but most of the time they gather to be led by the conductor, putting on a show that thousands of people come to watch. Our Heavenly Father is the conductor of the greatest orchestra ever known to man, he is our conductor of life.
Tyler and I have spent a lot of time wondering why we haven't had the chance to be parents yet. Everyday by itself can often feel burdensome, tiring and lonely as we work through the pains associated with infertility. Though even so, we find ourselves bewildered asking, how it is that we feel stronger when we look on a broader scale, approaching life not as day by day snapshots, but more, a story told from the beginning to the end (or more like middle) of a movie? Sometimes we can't see the progress that God is conducting. We only see note by note. We've learned the need to step back and see how God is orchestrating our lives a note at a time, but with the vision of a masterful composition of multi-leveled music in mind. He sees the end from the beginning. Have you ever heard the dissonance in music? By definition this means "the lack of harmony." The listeners ear is waiting, struggling and uncomfortable with the noise they are hearing, desiring a resolve. To the inexperienced audience this is a little painful, and certainly doesn't seem to match the dollars they paid for the entrance fee. Not until that resolve happens do they recognize the need for the dissonance to now appreciate the beauty of the harmony. A cultured ear will hear those same dissonant notes arise and with joyful anticipation sit on their edge of the seat knowing the power of what is to follow, harmony.
I read 2 Nephi chapters 8 and 9 today. They were side by side two of the clearest notes that I have ever heard in my symphony of life. If ever there was a solo I was to play in this orchestra, it was these two chapters, the words of Isaiah and Nephi, this morning alone sitting on my couch. Every so often impressions come educating us on who we are and how aware our Heavenly Father is of not just of "his children" but of our actual individual soul. I felt God hand me a piece of music this morning, I could nearly hear him saying, "I wrote this for you, to play today, I know you are the musician for the job." When I set out on this journey of The Book of Mormon 90 day challenge, I felt I must do it because God had great things to teach me. The Book of Mormon was published in March of 1830, these chapters haven't changed since then, millions of musicians have played them but today they were for me, today this was music written for me by my conductor. There was great dissonance in my life yesterday and as I woke up this morning, I patiently accepted the notes I had been given, knowing through my Savior there would be resolve. I know the lack of harmony will continue to come up, but I am so thankful that I know my conductor, that he will send the resolve as long as I am willing to play the music from the beginning to the end. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. It has the ability to order darkness out of a room and open the flood gate of light. I testify Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ live, they love me, they love and know you. There is nothing too severe or too awful that can not be overcome by the power of the atonement of our Savior. Let him in. Let him live in your life. Feel his love. In the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and my God, Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment