I know it may seem I've fallen off the face of the planet, but that's quite the opposite of how I've been feeling. I've stuck with it among open mic nights, preparations for youth conference, young women's camp, San Diego, Ecuador, and writing church talks. The Scriptures have brought me peace when I've been so consumed with what's been going on. Interestingly enough its my thoughts that seem to be screaming at me more than the actually errands I've had to run.
"I've got to organize this out, I wonder if the kids will like what I'm doing, what if we get lost, what do I need in my carry on if my luggage gets lost, i really hope no one has their passport stolen this trip...that was a crazy mess, I feel like I'm never going to see my husband again...three weeks, that's a long time, of course I'm going to see him again, three weeks, that's not a long time. How much money should I bring, oh yeah my talk, I've got to think about my talk, is Brittan home yet, should I bring my guitar, why haven't the girls called me back yet, will I need duct tape, got to buy my tickets to Six Flags, I think I spilled something on my shirt, time to change the laundry, is it seriously raining...miracle, I hope not too many people lost their homes in the fires, am I going to be able to go camping again this year? blah blah blah..."
Open Mic Fight
Youth Conference 2012
Young Women Camp 2012
And then I read the scriptures. I mentioned to Tyler this morning how much I've grown attached to waking up in the morning sitting on our living room couch, the morning sun coming through the window, and the mountains peaking through our aspen trees, and feeling completely alone, free, empty with the stories of the prophets. They bring me such rest. They save me from myself. No wonder my mom was in the scriptures every morning. Her life was eighteen times the busy that I'm experiencing.
Women's National Team vs. Canada
Fourth of July 2012
So what can I share today from fourty-one chapters that I've read over the past two weeks or so?
They are powerful they bring peace and teach truth. They center my life and allow me to feel alive and vibrant. I learn from prophets like Abinadi that my testimony still has a long way to come, to sacrifice your life so painfully and willingly and preach the word until the end. I learn from Alma that I need to open my heart more and be willing to hear the whisperings of the spirit to change. I learn from Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah that there is nothing so horriable that we've done that cannot be forgiven as we use Christ's atonement. I learn from the Amlicites that God's prophecies will always come true, there is no hiding for the wicked. I learn that God knows me and this book was written for our day. I love The Book of Mormon.
Scripture of the Day
Alma 5
14 And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye aspiritually been bborn of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty cchange in your hearts?
15 Do ye exercise faith in the redemption of him who acreated you? Do you look forward with an eye of faith, and view this mortal body raised in immortality, and this corruption braised in incorruption, to stand before God to be cjudged according to the deeds which have been done in the mortal body?
Thoughts
I've read this many times, but that can never be enough. Thinking of the context, Alma is trying to rally the Saints that have been baptized, but now due to the introduction of priest craft are dealing with new temptations and distractions. He reminds them of their covenants, of the necessity to continue strong and to never abandon the gospel that they have been so moved to accept. What a glorious idea that we can be born again!
I'm giving my talk in church today about the positive influence Mothers can have on their daughters as they keep their covenants. It piggybacks onto this idea, I'll include it below.
Teach Truth.
Mothers who keep their
covenants protect themselves, their family, and their daughters.
Rewind
three years. I know of a covert to the church who married in the temple a kind
man, returned missionary who faithfully served in the church. It was one of the
most powerful sealings I’ve ever attended. Unfortunately her activity in the
church dwindled as she became more preoccupied with work and pursuing success
in the world, remembering the more familiar life she had before baptism, her
husband followed. That power that I had once seen in their eyes that day faded.
The covenants they made are now mere thoughts of yesterday. I often wonder what
will happen when their children come into the world. Who will teach their
children?
Women who keep their
covenants protect themselves, their family and their daughters.
Mothers do your daughters
know the power of God because you are true to your covenants?
Nephi’s
vision of our day…
1
Nephi 14:14 “And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld that power of the Lamb
of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon
the covenant people of the Lord, who
were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.
Women do the daughters of the
church know the power of God because you are true to your covenants?
Mothers do your daughters
know of their infinite worth, as daughters of Heavenly Father, because they see
your reverence for womanhood?
Speaking
of a woman who knows her infinite worth, Russell M. Nelson said (1989).
“Her
self-esteem cannot be based on physical features, possession or lack of a
particular talent, or comparative quantities of anything. Her self-esteem is
earned by individual righteousness and a close relationship with God. Her outward
glow is generated by goodness within. And her patience is much more apparent
than any imperfection. (See D&C 67:13.)”
Before
we begin to take upon us the sacred convents that come with the endowment in
the temple, we are reminded of the creation.
You,
Woman, are the Crown of Creation! God lastly created Eve and put her at the
very top of his creation, and placed her at Man's side, making them absolutely
inseparable. (www.revelife.com)
Every
woman, in my view, is like a mirror covered in condensation, such as the
bathroom mirror after a hot shower. You look into this mirror and see your
reflection, certainly, but it is not a full reflection, a complete revelation.
Only in Christ are we able to begin wiping away the condensation and witness
glimpses of that greater beauty hiding just behind their flesh.
Women do the daughters of the
church know of their infinite worth, as daughters of Heavenly Father, because
they see your reverence for womanhood?
Mothers do you follow the
council of your priesthood leaders and husband so your daughters will choose
wisely?
President
Harold B. Lee stated: “It seems clear to me that the Church has no choice—and
never has had—but to do more to assist the family in carrying out its
divine mission, not only because that is the order of heaven, but also because that
is the most practical contribution we can make to our youth—to help
improve the quality of life in the Latter-day Saint homes. As important as our
many programs and organizational efforts are, these should not supplant
the home; they should support the home.” 24
Unless
we enlist the attention of the mothers and daughters and sisters—who have
influence on their husbands, fathers, sons, and brothers—we cannot progress. The
priesthood will lose great power if the sisters are neglected.
-Boyd
K. Packer April 2010
Women do you follow the
council of your priesthood leaders and husband so your daughters will choose
wisely?
Mothers are
your daughters consecrating their lives to the Lord because they saw you do it
first?
"A
Saint loves the Savior and follows Him in holiness and devotion. Evidence of
this kind of holiness and devotion is exemplified by consecration and
sacrifice. Sacrifice is the crowning test of the gospel. It means consecrating
time, talents, energy, and earthly possessions to further the work of God.
In
Doctrine and Covenants 97, verse 8, it concludes, 'All . . . who . . . are
willing to observe their covenants by sacrifice—yea, every sacrifice which I,
the Lord, shall command—they are accepted of me.' "
My
mom was always in the scriptures, she was excited about them. She didn’t
graduate from college or take some fancy
classes in ancient scripture, but she hungered for the gospel. She taught
gospel doctrine for many years. She loved her callings. She was my primary
president, my young women’s president, my stake young women’s president, my
Sunday school teacher, my dad was my seminary teacher, when I left home she
because my ward’s Relief Society President. She might be embarrassed that I’m
so frank about the callings she has held, but my point is she willingly served
where the Lord called her, and she put her heart into the call. Some of my
fondest memories were late nights and early mornings at the church surrounded
by my family and friends giving of their time and enthusiasm for the Lord’s
work. We have learned to work and to dedicate our lives to the Lord because of
the example of my mother (and father).
Women are the
daughters of the church consecrating their lives to the Lord because they saw
you do it first?
lastly
Mothers when the trials of life come do you stand firm in
your faith and endure to the end?
Nephi closes his writings after a lifetime of trial…
2 Nephi 33:12-15
12 And I pray the
Father in the name of Christ that many of us, if not all, may be saved in his akingdom at
that great and last day.
13 And now, my beloved brethren, all those who are of the
house of Israel, and all ye ends of the earth, I speak unto you as the voice of
one acrying from
the dust: Farewell until that great day shall come.
14 And you that will not partake of the goodness of God,
and respect the words of the aJews, and
also my bwords, and
the words which shall proceed forth out of the mouth of the Lamb of God,
behold, I bid you an everlasting farewell, for these words shall ccondemn you
at the last day.
15 For what I seal on earth, shall be brought against you
at the ajudgment
bar; for thus hath the Lord commanded me, and I must bobey. Amen.
Women when the trials of life come, do you stand firm in
your faith and endure to the end?
Mothers who keep their
covenants protect themselves, their family, and their daughters.
Rewind thirty-one years. I know of a covert to the church who married in the temple a
kind man, returned missionary who faithfully served in the church. I don’t
remember being there, but I can imagine it was one of the most powerful
sealings I’d ever attended. Her activity in the church did not weaken, but
strengthened with everyday of mortality. She didn’t let her preoccupations with
the world get in the way of the covenants she held sacred and most dear to her
heart. Her husband followed her example, and they grew together side by side.
They have taught this daughter the power of her covenants. The covenants they
made were never mere thoughts of yesterday, but binding promises that dictated
every road they chose.
I
pray that God granting me the miracle of a daughter, I will teach her the power
of keeping covenants, those entered into at baptism as well as in the temple. I
will teach her that they protect us as women from a world that would belittle
our divinity. I will teach her the role that we play in sustaining the priesthood
and those who hold its power. I will teach her that true happiness and joy come
only through consecrating our lives to the Savior of the world and building up
his kingdom on earth, and that no matter what may come we will endure it well
until as the Prophet Joseph Smith said, “the purposes of God [are]
accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done.”
Mothers
who keep their covenants protect themselves, their family and their daughters.
In
the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.




No comments:
Post a Comment