2 Nephi 10-12, 13-18

Yesterday morning I went to Sundance up Provo Canyon and rode the ski lift with some good friends who are teaching summer school. The fieldtrip was a beautiful opportunity for the students at our school to get out and see the scenic state that they live in, and I personally also looked forward to getting to know some of my students for next year. The Forest Service of Utah works with our school to supply fun and educational field trips during summer school to help promote healthy living. We went all the way up the mountain and around the ski lift, it was the perfect temperature, the sun was shining and the mountains were green as green can be. I took time to reflect upon what's been happening in my life recently and take in the beauty around me. It is easy to feel like you are alone sometimes and there I just felt like I was in God's hands.
As we approached the bottom of the ski lift we began to see our students in front of us bench by bench kicking their shoes off maybe 25 feet from the bottom of the lift, they all landed right in the middle of a mountain bike trail occupied with bikers. Down they would fall, at least 20 feet to the ground, one by one. I kept hoping and waiting for the next bench to stop the pattern and keep their shoes on their feet, but it seemed every bench of students that approached the bottom would kick off their shoes at the exact same place. Monkey see, monkey do.
Now, to cover our bases and help you understand that we are not neglectful teachers, there were teachers mixed in with the students, and we had purposely chosen to ride as the caboose to keep an eye on everyone from behind, and we did. In this situation however we could only wait in our seats like sitting ducks as this ridiculousness continued until we met them at the bottom. The end of the story is all of the students got an earful about being leaders and not followers, about thinking before acting impulsively, and not messing up great opportunities when they come their way. Privileges were lost, consequences were met, and today I'm sure they've moved on to the next situation we usually have on our hands at our darling school, (No really, we do love it).
My day continued and we went out to lunch to celebrate my friends birthday before we had to start work again. Rumbi has this new bacon pineapple burger with BBQ sauce that I ordered with their sweet potato fries, I still think I like the Big Kahuna better...but it did the trick. Moving on, after I paid and they handed me my cup for water. Auto pilot took over and I found myself in front of the soda machine in the corner of the store. I found the ice, filled it up, I found the water button under the lemonade, filled it up, and I found a couple of yellow lemons to freshen it up and placed them in my cup. (Side question...am I the only one who has to convince themselves that lemons are condiments and therefore free to take with my paid meal even if I didn't order a drink? Just wondering.)
The picture above shows where I was standing for way too long in attempt to find the lids. Seriously, way. too. long. I mean really, I took the picture as evidence to how ridiculous I must have appeared had anyone been watching me.
Nephi says that "[his] soul delighteth in [Isaiah's] words" (2 Nephi 11:2). Just as it was so clear to me that what my students were doing was inconsiderate to the mountain bikers below them, and just as the lids were right in front of my face but I couldn't see them, Isaiah is for the reader who desires to understand.
As the summer school students were given perspective to where their shoes were landing they listened and their eyes were opened. They recognized their mistakes and I'm quite certain they wouldn't act that way a second time. Despite my moment of complete oblivion I did pursue my course and found what I was looking for.
So I ask myself, "What is it that I need to see in Isaiah?"
Scripture of the Day
2 Nephi 13
17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a ascab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will bdiscover their secret parts.
18 In that aday the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments, and cauls, and round tires like the moon;
20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the ear-rings;
24 And
it shall come to pass, instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and
instead of a girdle, a rent; and instead of well set hair, abaldness; and instead of a stomacher, a girding of sackcloth; bburning instead of cbeauty.
26 And her agates shall lament and bmourn; and she shall be desolate, and shall csit upon the ground.
Thoughts
What is it that I unrighteously hold a little too close to my heart? How much would I sacrifice if asked to do so? God can do what He may to any of us at anytime, yet he has chosen to give me the life I live, oh what an awesome God I worship.
He has blessed me with sweet trials so I may come to him to be healed. Without boasting I've observed that very few of my greatest struggles in life have been brought upon me directly due to personal disobedience, yet I am impacted by the choices of others and the circumstances I am given. I am made a better woman because I choose to do right no matter where the trial comes from even suffering heartache along the way.
We can hide nothing from the Lord. Nothing. There are no secrets, no deceptions, no lies or half-truths. God is the great judge and knows all.
Where is my heart? What do I hold closest to my soul? After all is said and done and the earth has been changed, what will I have to show, naked of all my possessions, before the Lord? Am I who I want to be then?
Not yet. Perfection is more than a ways off. But this I do trust. My heart is strong in the Lord, my faith is true in my Redeemer, and my soul is on fire with His spirit. May He bless me to make it, may He direct my every path, May He make me to "tremble" at the thought of sin, and to invite and embrace the miracle of repentance as it is needed daily. May I never give up on the life he has so graciously given me, no matter what pain I am asked to bear. It is worth the struggle to be a true, righteous, daughter of Zion, filled with integrity, virtue, and faith.
I testify it is worth it.
This is what I saw in Isaiah today.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


No comments:
Post a Comment